Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bird's Nest Allergy

Last night something extraordinary happened.

As a part of my new skincare routine, I started taking bottled bird's nest about 2 weeks ago. Bird's Nest is a popular health food that is supposed to help skin look fairer, firmer and more youthful, mainly because it contains a large amount of collagen.

So anyway, after two weeks (3 bottles a week), nothing happened, until last night close to midnight, when I developed a STRONG and sudden allergy after drinking a bottle for about 4 hours. I felt breathless and my eyes started to itch. In a matter of like 3 minutes, my eyes swelled to the size of ping pong balls, and by the time my husband drove me to a 24-hr clinic, I couldn't open my left eye, while I managed a slit for my right. I was still having difficulty breathing. The doctor couldn't help me as, ironically, I was allergic to Piriton, a common drug known to control allergy. He gave me some steroids and urged me to go to the Accident & Emergency department at the hospital immediately.

So the people at the hospital said that I needed "immediate attention" (I think they were worried that I might not be able to breath soon due to the possible blockage of airway) and rolled me in a wheelchair to this emergency ward. They gave me more medicine through the veins (ok the insertion of the needle was a little...) and observed me for 2 hours or so. At around 2am or so, they decided that I was alright and transferred me to the observation ward. The nurses came to check on my blood pressure regularly and I was really bored, mainly because I couldn't open my eyes, so I couldn't do anything, except to try to sleep.

The next morning the doctor came to check on me and said that I was well enough to be discharged. She warned me that there might be a recurrence within 12 hours and told me to return immediately if it happens. She gave me more medicine for the next 5 days and off to home I went!

Now, I must say, I don't look like myself at all. Totally unrecognisable still. Although my breathing has returned to normal, I look like E.T with huge and sausage alike eyes. My vision is affected and I have to tilt my head up to see. Luckily, I can still open my eyes enough (and after sleeping a lot) to write a blog post, or else I am really going to be so so so bored!

I just hope my eyes will return to normal as soon as possible, or my colleagues are so going to stare at me as if I am an alien (though I really look like one now) on Monday (I can't possibly take another day off work). I heard that it might take as long as 72 hours for the swelling to subside! ARGH~~~~~

So no more bird's nest for me. Not fated to eat luxurious health food! It's such a pity because I was enjoying the effects of it so much. I had such smooth and radiant skin the 2 next days each time I took a bottle... sigh sigh sigh!

My Adam Beauty package with my new Luvshuca (more melting rouge) and Coffret D'or (Spring 2011 Collection) stuff came today! I will write a post on it tomorrow, or even tonight! Anyway, sorry for the lack of new posts recently... as I have been crazy saving and haven't been able to buy too many new products. Intended to do a tutorial this weekend, but sigh... alien eyes...

No comments:

Post a Comment